Skip to main content

Hemp Program

Members of the public can find information on Vermont's Hemp Program here.

Hemp is defined in law as the Cannabis sativa L. plant including all parts of the plant, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol [THC] concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis.

Rule 2.17 governs the production, manufacture, marketing, transfer and sale of hemp-derived intoxicating cannabinoids and synthetic cannabinoids.  The CCB Board has not yet drafted rules governing non-intoxicating hemp-derived products. 

The registration process for hemp cultivators and manufacturers will vary depending an applicant's business activities.

Hemp Cultivators

Applicants who wish to solely cultivate hemp will not register with the State of Vermont, and must apply to the USDA.  Prior to registering individuals must first create an account in the Hemp eManagement Platform (HeMP). A user guide for producers will help hemp cultivators navigate the federal registration system.

If cultivators have questions about hemp production, contact USDA at

Adult-Use Product Manufacturing

Any intoxicating hemp products may only be sold through the adult-use and medical markets. An "intoxicating" hemp product means a product offered to consumers containing:

  • more than 1.5mg THC per serving; or
  • more than 10mg of total THC per package, unless the ratio of cannabidiol to THC is at least 20:1; or
  • has the dominant market appeal of mimicking the intoxicating effects of THC

Product manufacturers who wish to make hemp products with a THC content at or above the levels listed above must become licensed as a cannabis product manufacturer through the CCB's adult-use licensing platform, and will be subject to the same testing and public health regulations as adult-use and medical products, including product registration.

Adult-Use Licensing Page:

General Product Manufacturing

Businesses or individuals who make hemp products with 1.5mg THC per serving or less do not need to register as an adult-use product manufacturer, and may sell their products through general retail stores or online.

All hemp processors and hemp product manufacturers who are making CBD and other non-intoxicating hemp-derived products for general retail sale must register with the Cannabis Control Board using the below Hemp Manufacturer Registration form:

Hemp Manufacturer Registration:

  • There is not currently a fee associated with hemp manufacturer registration. Please do not send payment at this time, even after registering. 

Novel or Synthetic Cannabinoids

The CCB prohibits synthetic cannabinoid products containing Delta-8, Delta-10, or other novel cannabinoids for which insufficient data exists to show that it is safe for human consumption.