Skip to main content

An Official Vermont Government Website

Vermont State Logo

Medical Program FAQs

Please find below some of the frequently asked questions relating to Vermont's medical cannabis program. If you do not see the information you are looking for, please email us - someone will be in touch.

What medical conditions qualify me for a medical card?

To qualify, a patient must be a Vermont resident who is suffering from a debilitating medical condition. The following medical conditions qualify as debilitating for Vermont residents:

  • Cancer
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • HIV or AIDS
  • Glaucoma
  • Crohn's disease
  • Parkinson's disease
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder (requires the Mental Health Care Provider Form)

Medical conditions that produce one or more of the following symptoms also may qualify: wasting syndrome, chronic pain, severe nausea, or seizures.

How long will it take to process my application?

You should hear back from us in writing within 30 days of receipt of a completed application. At that time, we'll let you know if your application has been approved or denied. If the application is approved, you will receive a registry identification card at the mailing address you provided with your application. Any other written correspondence will also be sent to your provided mailing address.

What are the photo requirements?

Initial applicants MUST submit a digital photo. Renewal applicants only need to submit a photo if his or her appearance has significantly changed.

Outline of a person holding a cellphone and an identification card

The photo must be: 

In color

Reflect your current appearance (taken within the last 6 months)

A clear (not grainy, blurry, or fuzzy) image of ONLY you

Full face-and-shoulder shot, squarely facing the camera (no sunglasses or hats)

Additional Tips 

Crossed out image of a Vermont driver's license
  • Do not scan your driver's license or another photo ID. The scanned image will not be of high enough quality to meet the requirements.
  • Do not submit a photo of a photo (just take a photo of yourself).

Submitting a Photo – To submit a photo, send an email from your computer, cell phone, or mobile device with the following information: 

Subject Line: Application Photo

  • Include your date of birth with your first and last name in the body of the email
  • Attach your photo 
  • Email Address: 

Upon receipt, medical program staff will respond confirming they've received your photo.

If you are unable to email a photo, a photo may mailed to the CCB offices (89 Main St, Montpelier, VT 05620) on a compact disc.

How much does it cost?

There is a $50 non-refundable application fee for your ID card, to be included with each initial or renewal application. Checks and money orders must be made out to the Cannabis Control Board.

Lost or Stolen registry ID cards: There is a $25 processing fee for reissuing a lost or stolen registry identification card, or for any changes to the information contained on a registry identification card.

Who qualifies as a healthcare professional?

A health care professional is an individual licensed in Vermont to practice medicine. This includes physicians, osteopathic physicians, naturopathic physicians, PAs (physician assistants), and nurse practitioners. This definition also includes professionally licensed individuals under substantially equivalent positions in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, or New York.

The following mental healthcare professionals also qualify: psychologists, clinical social workers, or clinical mental health counselors. Please note, non-licensed and non-certified psychotherapists and licensed alcohol and drug abuse counselors do not qualify as mental health care providers.

I qualify as a healthcare professional under the medical cannabis program - what are my responsibilities?

The only responsibilities of a health care professional with regards to the provisions of the Marijuana Registry is to verify that the patient has a debilitating medical condition. A healthcare professional does not prescribe cannabis.

What is a registered caregiver, and is a patient required to have one?

A registered caregiver is a Vermont resident over the age of 21 who has agreed to undertake responsibility for managing the well-being of a registered patient with respect to the use of medical cannabis. A caregiver can go to the dispensary and receive deliveries for his or her patient and/or assist with cannabis cultivation. You are not required to have a caregiver under the medical program.

A registered patient may register as a caregiver for another registered patient, but may not register as their own caregiver.

Patients under 18 years of age may have two registered caregivers.

How do I obtain cannabis as a registered patient or caregiver?

A patient may obtain cannabis from their designated dispensary. They may also purchase seeds or clones to cultivate cannabis from their designated dispensary. More information on dispensaries may be found here.

A patient and their registered caregiver may posses not more than two mature marijuana plants, seven immature plants, and two ounces of usable cannabis.

Where do I find information on dispensaries?

More information on dispensaries, their locations, how to select or change your designated dispensary, and how to file a complaint against a dispensary may be found on the medical dispensary webpage.