Board Rule 2.2.9(b) states that packaging intended for consumer purchase at a retail location cannot be made from plastic. Certain plastic-based packaging options have been approved for use by the Board on a case-by-case basis through our rules waiver process if licensees can demonstrate hardship in securing non-plastic packaging for one of the following reasons:
- Unavailability of non-plastic packaging
- Inability to achieve child-resistance
- Necessity to preserve shelf-life stability, prevent contamination of cannabis/cannabis products, or avoid exposure of products to toxic or harmful substances.
A number of previously waived packaging options are approaching their one-year expiration date, and the CCB is evaluating whether or not to renew their waivers.
Three decisions have been made thus far regarding packaging waivers. They are:
- The HumidiCo lid waiver WILL be renewed. It will continue to be approved for use in packaging cannabis products only, not flower.
- The Elevate opaque stand-up pouch waiver has been extended an additional six months. It now expires February 10, 2024.
- The Safely Lock compostable bag waiver will NOT be renewed and will expire on September 4, 2023.
What do expiring waivers mean for my registered products?
Licensees with existing registrations for products packaged in Safely Lock compostable bags are encouraged to transition to alternate compliant packaging when they are able. They may, however, continue to use the waived Safely Lock bag until they are required to renew their registered product packaged in that bag. At the time of their product registration renewal, licensees must have identified compliant packaging.
After September 4, 2023, the CCB will no longer register new products packaged in the previously waived Safely Lock bag.
What else can I use?
We have compiled a list of plastic-free packaging options available to the licensed community. That list may be found on our plastics waiver webpage: